Transparency

Problem with .tga files

Riva
MM2X VIP Member
MM2X VIP Member
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Postby Riva » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Yeah. But PS7 is enough for a lot of TGA. Only for the Forza textures (when I want to remove the transparency from the wheel or for a cockpit), I'm using now TGA Viewer.

If I want to save one of these textures from PS7, in 32 bits to 24, when I'll open it, the transparency layer will be white (I guess PS7 don't support multiple layers).

CarLuver69
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Postby CarLuver69 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:42 am

TGA uses Alpha Transparency. You need to make the alpha layer white for parts that are visible, and black for parts that are not visible. Obviously PS7 does this for you automatically, but you have more control if you use an Alpha layer.

To do this, go to your Channels tab, create a new channel (this will be called Alpha) and then make your selection that you don't want transparent and make sure you have the Alpha channel selected and delete it. What you should now have is an Alpha channel, with mostly black and some white parts. This is how the professional game artists do it!

Also, if you want variable degrees of transparency, you need to save it as a 32-bit TGA and not a 24-bit. I found this by experimenting with the transparent windows with what would've been my FlatOut 2 Trailblazer. :(

Riva
MM2X VIP Member
MM2X VIP Member
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Postby Riva » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:16 pm

Hmm. Thanks for the tip.

But, if I save a TGA as a 24-bit, the current transparency will be lost in-game (I mean, for MM2). Maybe a "real" alpha layer started from the channel tab will be supported by another video game (like the GTA serie) ? I never tried that.

CarLuver69
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Postby CarLuver69 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:12 pm

Yes, that is why you should save it as a 32-bit TGA.
[img]https://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2562/2010mm2cawardssilver.png[/img] [color=orange]Best MM2 Innovation - Author of best car of the year[/color]
[color=silver][i]Proud supporter of MM2X[/i][/color]

[color=#CCCCCC]How do I love thee MM2? Let me count the add-ons...
[size=134][b]Are my pictures not showing up? [url=https://photobucket.com/CL69MM2]CLICK HERE![/url][/b][/size][/color]