Logged in users download w/o entering code

tgp1994
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Logged in users download w/o entering code

Postby tgp1994 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:57 pm

Hi there everyone. I just got MM2, so I thought it would be cool to download some mods for it. One thing I find annoying though, is that the site has us enter a scrambled word everytime we need to download a file. I know you guys are trying to disable leeching, but I think there's a more painless way to do this. How about putting a cookie on our computer authenticating us for a session, or even letting those of us who are logged in to download w/o entering the code?

I hope the site developers consider my suggestion.

And good job for staying alive for what, almost a decade? Nice!
Hi there, I'm tgp1994, or more commenly known as thegammingperson1994. (Yes, it's purposefully misspelled.) I have to say that midtown madness 2 is a very fun game, and at the same time I'm extremely disappointed that they didn't release the 3rd version f

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:11 pm

That website feature has been made, as you say, to avoid file leeching and direct file linking. In this website everyone can do downloads, both guests and registered users. If we disable the password entering and allow to download the files only for the registered users, we force everyone to register to the website just to download a file, and this isn't worth for the guests; more, this website will have less downloaded files and also less visits because of this bad thing.
However, it's not so annoying select the word to write, copy it, paste it in the field and then confirm; it takes few seconds, you haven't to type it manually...
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

tgp1994
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby tgp1994 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:18 am

Well, I'm not necessarily saying that you disable it entirely for guests, let them enter the password, but let us registered users download right away.
Hi there, I'm tgp1994, or more commenly known as thegammingperson1994. (Yes, it's purposefully misspelled.) I have to say that midtown madness 2 is a very fun game, and at the same time I'm extremely disappointed that they didn't release the 3rd version f

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:29 am

A such thing has to be implemented, and I don't know if it's possible. From the website settings is only possible disable the password inserting page and force users to register and login to download files.
Anyway, isn't a bad idea let only to the registered users download the files without the password inserting page through the account login cookie...
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.

tgp1994
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby tgp1994 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:36 am

I think it may just be a simple PHP mod, although I don't know PHP very well myself.

tgp1994
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby tgp1994 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:12 pm

And also, do you think you might be able to remove or increase the 70kb/s choke ow the download speed?

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:59 pm

I don't get well your question, there's a limit of 70 Kb/s of the website download speed? :?

dageek
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Postby dageek » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:15 pm

He's saying to remove the download speed limit of 70 kb/s, but I don't think there is a limit. I regularly get download speeds of 120 kb/s. His internet must be slower.
[url=https://www.dageek.webs.com][img]https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad294/photobukcet_dageek/Avatars/LamboSig.jpg[/img][/url]

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:41 pm

Indeed, I don't believe that there's a downloading speed limit, and I don't think that's possible set it. If the downloads from this website goes slow is mainly because of the own connection; for almost all the downlaods there's the mirror link to the second website server made because of this slow speed problem that some users can have.
My download speed from this website is pretty fast, about 350 Kb/s, and using the Windows mirror server it's yet more fast.

tgp1994
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby tgp1994 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:15 pm

No, I can get a down speed of at least 1MB/s normally, but I always use the mirror since it says recommended. Should I use the top one?

And will you be able to do that PHP mod or whatever needs to be done?

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:31 pm

No, I can get a down speed of at least 1MB/s normally, but I always use the mirror since it says recommended. Should I use the top one?
An so? I don't understand what you meant with your previous question. You get a very good download speed from the mirror server, and sometimes I got 1 Mb/s from there too.
Of course you can use both the links, but the mirror one is recommended because the downloads are from a secondary server that has a more fast download speed, and then that server is dedicated for the files, while the primary one is also for the website and all the hosted websites.
And will you be able to do that PHP mod or whatever needs to be done?
I don't know if is possible to do a such thing, I would know this from the other admin, that know more about PHP programming, Gafaddict. DjDecibel, the website owner, is who has built and modded the whole website in the past years, so is he that should consider this idea, but he isn't online.

tgp1994
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby tgp1994 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:23 pm

Lol the mirror server seems to be capped at 70kb/s, I'm just asking if you guys could up it or remove it.

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:33 pm

So you get only 70 Kb/s of download speed from the mirror server? And from where you get 1 Mb/s of download speed? From the normal download link from the website server? Well, that's a problem with your connection, and we can't do nothing.
There are two download links to download the files so people can use the one from where they get more download speed, and since usually the mirror one is the faster one to most of them, this is why it's recommended.

tgp1994
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby tgp1994 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:47 am

No, I got the 1MB/s from a different site. Are you guys sure there is no cap on the mirror server?

dageek
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Postby dageek » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:11 am

Yes were sure.
[url=https://www.dageek.webs.com][img]https://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad294/photobukcet_dageek/Avatars/LamboSig.jpg[/img][/url]