64%

Total votes: 11
Kunal2045
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Kunal2045 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:56 am

Indeed a good start.
I agree what Franch said and I reckon you should get some friendly members to help you out. :wink:

But just my opinion of what you would probably need, you think it slowly.
[align=center][color=black]Sig[/color]
[img]https://www.imgweave.com/view/4838.png[/img][/align]

Riva
MM2X VIP Member
MM2X VIP Member
Registered for: 20 years

Postby Riva » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:17 pm

I see a problem about a part of this road, if you don't use some curve, when you'll start the mapping of this road, some materials will be stretched because isn't common to get road parts like these.

cody
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

New Past, Present, Future City

Postby cody » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:10 pm

Another screenshot:

I know the road is extra steep, but there are still a few things to fix before I continue building the road.

I will need Photoshop for the textures. TGA files made with Paint Shop Pro 10 don't work properly. Where is the cheapest place to get it? Does Ebay have it for less than $100? I don't want a free copy because it may contain a virus.

Also I need some 3D Animals. Show me where to get some for free. See first post for list of animals. 3ds format is best (even though the max number of vertices is 65536). Make sure they are low-poly. I won't animate them because that's hard, so the city will look as if time was frozen. A sky texture will also be nice if I can find one.

Speed Limits will all be 1118 Miles/hour (You can't go any faster in MM2), so you can go as fast as you want. Just be careful not to run off the PSDL (as you saw in the screenshot of New York City above) I am canceling the traffic version because it will be too hard to make traffic, so It will be a city without humans. Animals will be the smart ones who made the buildings, so I will make them look animal-made.
My Member Number is prime. LOL!

Sido
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Sido » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:17 pm

OMG
No, I am not ready for Hell! I don't even have my good shoes!

-Edward Richtofen

HummersRock
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Re: New Past, Present, Future City

Postby HummersRock » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:39 am

Another screenshot:

[img]https://a.imageshack.us/img718/7717/48785817.jpg[img]

I know the road is extra steep, but there are still a few things to fix before I continue building the road.
Woah, that downhill road is pretty steep, make sure not to exceed MM2s limit. :P
I will need Photoshop for the textures. TGA files made with Paint Shop Pro 10 don't work properly. Where is the cheapest place to get it? Does Ebay have it for less than $100? I don't want a free copy because it may contain a virus.
I really doubt you could find it for $100. The textures you made in PSP may not have worked because they were compressed. Make sure that you save as uncompressed. And if PSP saves as compressed no matter what, then just download Irfanview (it's free). It will allow you to convert the tga to an uncompressed tga.

Some other good free alternatives to Photoshop are Gimp and Paint.Net. I like Paint.Net a lot more then Gimp, and you can download some good plugins for extra features on the official forum.

Zac4084
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Zac4084 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:52 am

Download Paint.Net.. Google it.. A bit steep, but looks okay.

cody
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User

New past, Present, Future City

Postby cody » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:04 pm

Some other good free alternatives to Photoshop are Gimp and Paint.Net.
I just got Paint.NET. It has many features of both Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro. Good thing is that Paint.NET doesn't tell me to enter a registration key, serial number, etc. It's completely free! :D

More city screenshots coming soon. I still have to make textures (that's what Paint.NET is for). That steep hill will lead to the Future section once I've started building it. There will also be a speed track going from the Prehistoric Section to the Future Section.

Here's an Ice texture for the big mountain:
1024x1024 (Black means transparent)

All I need to do is convert it to TGA with Paint.Net, then convert it to tex with the TexManager and assign it to the z3D file before export.

Here are a few questions:

Where can I find good road and sidewalk textures for free? (asphalt, concrete for the bridges, construction barriers)
Where can I get 3D model files (Animals, Cars, Trees) for free? (Important for the designing of this city)
How do I make invisible roads? (very important for the Future section)

zoot
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Postby zoot » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:13 am

Cool texture. LOL. Go to CGTextures.com and register for free textures. ;) Registration is free. 3D models, try turbosquid. Invisible roads? Use an alpha texture that is invisible.
Administrator at MMarchive | Arrow Block Entertainment Owner

cody
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User

Postby cody » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:10 pm

Turbosquid isn't free (the models cost $60). What website has free models?

zoot
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby zoot » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:41 pm

There are a bunch of free models on turbosquid. All don't cost just $60. ;)

cody
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User

Postby cody » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:59 pm

Why do I have to register to use Turbosquid? here's a site where all models are free (mostly sinks, bathtubs, and other indoor stuff). The site is supported by ad's and you don't have to register to download:

www.total-3d.com

CG Textures has amazing detail, but free members can only download 15 MB per day (more than enough for me, but it may take a few days to get all my textures). I am also downloading Gmax because it's free (unlike 3DS Max, which costs $3000-$5000. :o I still think they should drop the price to $30-$50, even though it's professional software.) I'll use dirt roads in the Prehistoric Section, asphalt in the Present Section, and glass in the Future Section. I am currently working on the Future.

This road floats above a deep valley:

I got this idea from the fact that the south highway in Abandoned City doesn't have any supports, meaning that it floats 20 feet above the ground-level road underneath (This is due to the fact that the freeway supports are props, but Abandoned City is mostly PSDL, Sky, and Hudmap). As you can see, the road is unfinished (it drops off) and textures aren't assigned yet. I'm planning on making most of the Future Section float above this valley (except for ramps that allow access to the roads if you fall off). The invisible roads idea came from New York Mod because in the "scavenger hunt" checkpoint race, you start on an invisible road above the area that says "Lex Luthor Ice Hole"

Zac4084
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Zac4084 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:28 am

Looking good, but a bit messy in a way.

Riva
MM2X VIP Member
MM2X VIP Member
Registered for: 20 years

Postby Riva » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:34 pm

So, you plan to add ramps to avoid any falls from this road ? How do you fit them ? Because, there's no ground except the road, it's not really easy to suggest a road without any details from the side :?

BTW I suggest you to try, from time to time, your work in progress, in-game because I'm not sure if you're able to straight down the road.

Don't require so much, just make a PH_ object with your current stuff (even if this one exceed 2k polys, it's just roads).

cody
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User

Postby cody » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:32 pm

Most of the city will be PSDL, but the buildings will be Inst and Props (other than some Psdl buildings). I'll test it ingame after I make some adjustments.

zoot
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby zoot » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:08 pm

I hope you know that in PSDL, all vertices need to be connected. ;)