Midnight Club 1 inst format

Retrieving object coordinates from MC1

fagnig
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 8 years

Midnight Club 1 inst format

Postby fagnig » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:21 am

Hi, i'm part of a mod team that is working to convert the Midnight Club maps to GTASA PC, mobile iOS + Android (with new interiors, vehicles and maybe missions) and we have hit a snag with getting the coordinates for the parent map objects. As the game loads large (parent) objects like buildings and their surrounding generic objects have coordinates stored in those large objects we need the coordinates of the large objects so that everything is placed correctly.

I'm under the impression that the l01.inst stores these coordinates however i have been messing around with it in a hex editor (converting hex to readable floats, trying both big and little endian, etc) and cannot get any meaningful results. We're using the blender addon by aaro4130 to import the models which is working very well for the actual models and getting the coordinates of the sub-objects that are stored in the parent objects pkg files, however the very last thing we need is coordinates for the parent objects, then we can finish the whole thing. Is the inst format the same as internally as MM's inst format or does it differ? Does MC store the parent object coordinates in a different file? Any information would be appreciated.

FXANBSS
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Postby FXANBSS » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:03 am

MC1 to GTA SA... Wow

This will be interesting.

RacingFreak
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Postby RacingFreak » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:52 am

That's an ambitious project, alas I don't think it will work out. There is too much work even if you place all the buildings. How about the roads? Even if you extract them, you will need to manually UV-map every single section because that is controlled by the game itself, roads, sidewalks and psdl blocks have no uv mapping.

However, if you think you will be able to make new tools to deal with this format in a better way, that will be neat. There isn't any psdl to obj extractor for example.

As for the inst format, I guess it's the same as MM2 inst.

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:25 pm

Sounds a very big project, it would be awesome for that game, but still, there will be issues about the PSDL format of the base terrain, the one with roads and grounds, that's read and interpreted differently by MM2 and MC1 game engine.
About your question, it's right the .inst file the one with position, scaling and rotation coordinates of the various PKG objects added in a city. It should work in the way with both MM2 and MC1.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|