...when blocked access to internet/port 80

emertxe2mm
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 12 years 1 month

MM2 delayed start

Postby emertxe2mm » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:03 am

Hi!
Midtown2.exe with XP patch wants to connect to internet via port 80, last time to 23.9.6.78 (there were other addresses before).
If I allow it to - it starts up quickly, however if not allowed by firewall, it takes some 10 seconds delay to start loading the game and getting into menu.
I have searched the .exe with auntie IDA to no avail - doesn't seem to want any specific address or specific site although I think it always ends up connecting to Akamai, but that's a broad host...
It only sends small number of packets (observed with TCPView), but it bothers me.
What to do?
And how to do it?
Please tell me because I really don't want it to even want to connect. I personally would very much like to just edit .exe...
By the way - I'm not even touching multiplayer mode.
Thanks

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:26 pm

I've experienced a similar issue, where if I run the game without having the PC connected to the Internet, the game takes lot of time to run after its lauch, but after have stopped its execution from the Task Manager, then it runs suddenly after a second launch.
I would suggest you to download the Speedboot, so replace the game EXE with that one, and then apply it this patch.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

emertxe2mm
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby emertxe2mm » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:58 pm

Thanks, for reply, but that solves nothing.
I've increased heap size on my own some time ago, but that's besides the point.
The point is it wants to connect and if it can't it's not behaving well and that has to be edited out in the .exe.
We need patch for this specific issue or location where to modify it.
Is all.

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:24 pm

Certainly, it's necessary to do an edit to the game EXE so to avoid it to connect to a remote address, but, how come you're so worried that the game wants to connect? I don't see any problem with that, is a normal thing of it, also because of the multiplayer gameplay mode that it has... Probably the game just tries to connect to the MSN Gaming Zone servers, a service closed long time ago.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

emertxe2mm
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby emertxe2mm » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:15 pm

I see.
Well I have to say you calmed me down some with the Gaming Zone servers info. :-)
Thanks.
Well - I shall have a look into exe again if I find anything more this time, in the mean time I guess I'll just allow it access because that really speeds up the startup - it's instant that way.
We'll keep in touch. :-)