Qualities of a good add-on car

According to you

RacingFreak
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Postby RacingFreak » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:13 am

I just like to make cars that fit the style Angel Studios used to make MM2. Sometimes this just doesn't happen though. I actually had an idea for Midtown Madness: Hot Pursuit mod with cars from NFSHP Wii (bad idea lol :P), but that will just fail because I have to stick with other style (plain matte paint for body and blue gradients for windows).

I honestly do not lock my archives. I just use the programs made by Volky, zip2ar and re_zip. But of course, if your car is completely scratch-made, depending on quality, then you better that, else someone could steal it and sell it, aswell as pretend as his own (seen so many times).

Maybe the very best style modders should stick to is to use the texture and modelling style similar to the default cars, just like Mark (CarLuver69) did ;)

Soon I will announce some news regarding mods in such style.

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Postby dummiesboy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:23 pm

For example, who recognizes this?
That sort of stuff will happen with any game. But really, do you see people making GTA addons locking their stuff? Or really, for any other game at all? As far as I know, MM2 is the only game that has people locking their stuff.
It's really a lesser of two evils type of thing. Do you want to let people who just want to modify or fix issues with it (most people) do what they want, or do you want to screw them over and make it harder for a few people out there to steal it?
Besides, most cars released anymore for MM2 are conversions from different games. So if people steal the model, who cares? You didn't make it.
lol... If you want to "customize it", whatever that means, you can either make a patch for it or you could just as well remake/convert the mod yourself to your preferences.
Once again, what if the MM2 devs just said "if you dont like it, remake the game yourself"? Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to just fix the issues with what's been made? Sometimes it's a very simple fix that could make the car much better (such as quieting down the engine), but nope, gotta remake the whole thing according to you...
And how can you make a patch if you don't have any of the original stuff to go by? Once again, you'd have to remake whatever you want fixed, which is just not worth it.

RacingFreak
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User

Postby RacingFreak » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:17 pm

But really, do you see people making GTA addons locking their stuff? Or really, for any other game at all? As far as I know, MM2 is the only game that has people locking their stuff.
Nah, some people making cars for Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 and GTAIV does lock them. I think I also saw some GTAVC and SA mods with locked .dff's aswell.

So DB, you're saying that as conversions are being stolen, the convertor really did not put any effort on doing this according to you. But nope, the convertor puts hours of work, making proper tuning, sounds, bound, taillights, headlights, bunch of other props. I can't say it's something really easy to do and simple. It also requires experience in this. Actually I have calculated how much time can a basic NFSHS to MM2 car convert take, without sounds and tuning of course. About 20 minutes ;)

But I personally have nothing against high poly quality cars like Riva or Franch's for example, as most of them are really beautiful.

whoami
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User

Postby whoami » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:16 pm

Also, I think a low poly MM2 style model works best, mainly because of the arcade physics this game has. It just doesn't look right for a fairly realistic looking car to drive the way they do. You've also got to take into account how detailed the environment is. This might not be a big deal for most people, but to me, I enjoy having an equal quality level with everything in a game.
True. I personally want low-poly cars, so that they don't lag in my netbook. (Riva's models, Franch's models, my Miura etc. act lke I'm using Windows 7 on 22/7 MB RAM)
Once again, what if the MM2 devs just said "if you dont like it, remake the game yourself"? Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to just fix the issues with what's been made?
Again, true :wink:
[color=white]Nobody told me MM2 works on Windows 10![/color]

Silent1Unknown
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 16 years

Postby Silent1Unknown » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Just to be clear, I didnt form an opinion on wether people should lock or not lock their mods. Well, I guess everyone would like that others' mods be left unlocked, so they can make improvements or whatever. But on the topic of one's own mods.....which is now offtopic by the way....that depends on people.

In any case, you shouldnt try to argue with others to lock/unlock their products because you havent made anything original or transferable to other games such as a scratch-made cars or tracks. Once you have that experience, it changes your outlook on things. Just my two cents. Bah.

Image BEST MM2 SCREENSHOOTER | BEST PHOTOSHOPPER
Image MOST FRIENDLY MEMBER | BEST MM2 WEBSITE

StanOfGB
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Postby StanOfGB » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:56 pm

That sort of stuff will happen with any game. But really, do you see people making GTA addons locking their stuff? Or really, for any other game at all? As far as I know, MM2 is the only game that has people locking their stuff.
Acutally, most GTA:SA and GTA4 authors do lock their cars and mods.
Once again, what if the MM2 devs just said "if you dont like it, remake the game yourself"? Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to just fix the issues with what's been made? Sometimes it's a very simple fix that could make the car much better (such as quieting down the engine), but nope, gotta remake the whole thing according to you...
And how can you make a patch if you don't have any of the original stuff to go by? Once again, you'd have to remake whatever you want fixed, which is just not worth it.
If I didn't like the way MM2 was made, and it was locked, then I wouldn't play MM2 in the same manner that I don't play other games that I don't like. Also, when I convert and release a car, it is as good as I find appropriate. i.e. I don't include a dash because I personally think it's unnecessary but if someone wants the same car with a dash, they are free to make it themselves.

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby dummiesboy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:09 pm

In any case, you shouldnt try to argue with others to lock/unlock their products because you havent made anything original or transferable to other games such as a scratch-made cars or tracks.
Maybe not cars or tracks, but I've made models from scratch before. :wink:
Acutally, most GTA:SA and GTA4 authors do lock their cars and mods.
I've tried plenty of GTA mods before, and never once came across a locked one. Maybe I'm just lucky, hard telling.
If I didn't like the way MM2 was made, and it was locked, then I wouldn't play MM2 in the same manner that I don't play other games that I don't like. Also, when I convert and release a car, it is as good as I find appropriate. i.e. I don't include a dash because I personally think it's unnecessary but if someone wants the same car with a dash, they are free to make it themselves.
k

Anyway, I'm done with this now. It's gone way too far off-topic... sorry for pretty much hijacking your topic, e-cobra.

HummersRock
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Postby HummersRock » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:40 pm

In any case, you shouldnt try to argue with others to lock/unlock their products because you havent made anything original or transferable to other games such as a scratch-made cars or tracks. Once you have that experience, it changes your outlook on things. Just my two cents. Bah.
It would suck if someone took something of mine that I put tons of work into, claimed it was their own, and got credit/respect/recognition for it. But I think in most cases when someone does that on an online community/the internet, they get found out. And depending on how popular the game is that the mod is for, it happens quick. Their reputation will go down the drain most likely. So I don't think it's an issue.

I'm fine with people modifying my tracks/mods. If they're going to release it, I don't want them taking credit for everything obviously, just what they did themselves.

Like other people are saying, if you lock your stuff, you're really only screwing over honest people. If someone wants to steal your stuff and claim as their own or whatever, they will find a way. I seem to remember someone finding a zip program that could get past Maxoff's first locking method.

I think leaving things unlocked could also help people learn/improve in 3D modeling, modding, etc.
[url=https://bit.ly/znpgtp][color=deepskyblue]My MM2 Creations[/color][/url] | [url=https://bit.ly/o9c3][color=red]My MM2 Youtube[/color][/url] | [url=https://bit.ly/yfqjeq][color=green]My DeviantArt[/color][/url]

piau9000
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Postby piau9000 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:44 pm

It's much easier to send a PM asking for the files.
If someone wants to modify/improve my cars, just ask. I'll send the .z3d raw files (that is much better than the unloked .pkg).
What I don't like are guys that do a lot of things just to break a locked file when they could just ask.

If someone wants so bad a car that starts using programs like 3dripper instead of asking for the author, then this guy want to do something bad with this car and don't want anyone to know.
[img]https://imgh.us/z_1.png[/img] [color=yellow]Best MM2 breakout of 2011[/color]

[color=gray]REL

Mercedes Benz 300 SE - WR2
Yes! Roadster - WR2
[/color]

e-cobra
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Postby e-cobra » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:08 am

... sorry for pretty much hijacking your topic, e-cobra.
No problem.. :biggrin2:

sajmon14
MM2X VIP Member
MM2X VIP Member
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Poland

Postby sajmon14 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:23 pm

If someone wants to modify/improve my cars, just ask. I'll send the .z3d raw files (that is much better than the unloked .pkg).
What I don't like are guys that do a lot of things just to break a locked file when they could just ask.

If someone wants so bad a car that starts using programs like 3dripper instead of asking for the author, then this guy want to do something bad with this car and don't want anyone to know.
I agree with you

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby dummiesboy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:15 pm

Alright then, since nobody cares how off topic this has gotten, may aswell reply.

That's all fine and dandy, but what if the author isn't around anymore? Or lost the unlocked version? What would be much easier for everyone in any case, would be to never lock it in the first place. :wink:

And well said hummers, you got the point across better than I could.

RacingFreak
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User

Postby RacingFreak » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:58 pm

Just wanted to say 3D Rippers doesn't work with MM2. And indeed, contacting the original author doesn't always work... unless the author isn't still active.