Question About MM2 Texture Formats

What are the supported texture formats

Doof4294967296
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Question About MM2 Texture Formats

Postby Doof4294967296 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:37 am

This could be a retarded ass question but, Is there some more supported texture formats than .tex, .tga, .bmp? How about .PNG? and .GIF? :roll:

RohitXL5
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User

Postby RohitXL5 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:49 am

Nah. MM2 only supports .tex, .tga and .jpeg. But what's bad with them. It's not so hard to convert their formats and edit them. You can convert .tex format to .tga with using Tex Manager which you can get here. If you want to convert .jpg or .tga to any other image format, I used to have Format Factory. Get it here.
[img][/img]

[color=#01B5DD][size=150]Boss of Martians![/size][/color]

[img][/img] [color=yellow]Best Active Member MM1 screenshot-er | Best MM2 breakout of the year[/color]
[img][/img] [color=yellow]Author of the best mod of the year[/color]

Doof4294967296
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User

Postby Doof4294967296 » Tue May 21, 2013 2:12 pm

I KNOW its easy. I make .tga files in GIMP. I even have the Tex Manager. And I have no problem with them. I'm just curious.

e-cobra
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Postby e-cobra » Tue May 21, 2013 4:03 pm

Nah. MM2 only supports .tex, .tga and .jpeg.
Well .jpeg is used for showcase image and the small image that appears on bottom-left of vehicle selection screen. Jpeg images cannot be used to texture vehicles. Formats supported to texture vehicles are .tga .tex and .bmp.
[img][/img]
[url=https://www.mm2x.com/page.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5362&start=52&highlight=e-cobra][color=gold][size=75]MM2X Awards[/size][/color][/url]
[b][size=84][color=blue]If a tree falls in the woods and no one?s around to hear it, does it make a sound?[/color][/size][/b]

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:41 pm

The images files formats used in MM2 are 3, but it supports also a 4th file format.
The TEX and TGA formats are mainly used for the textures of the 3D models used in the game (for the HUD and some menu elements it's used the TGA format). The JPG (Joint Photographic Experts Group) format (the extension is .jpg, not .jpeg, which exists, though) is used for most of the game menu elements, like backgrounds, loading screens, windows, prompt messages and buttons.
The supported but practically not natively used image format is the BMP (Bitmap) one. What's known is that it works properly only when it's in 24 bit colors and only when used for vehicles models and maybe also cities PKG objects (both INST and props); it doesn't work when used for the PSDL terrain textures.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

NiAlBlack
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Postby NiAlBlack » Tue May 21, 2013 11:47 pm

Although .bmp and .tga are supported, I'd recommend you to use .tex because you can set flags, which are sometimes needed to make a texture show up properly. E. g. when adding paintjobs to default cars, the textures have to use the correct flags, otherwhise there will be ugly lines.
[url=https://www.mm2x.com/page.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4514][img]https://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p515/NiAlBlack/colorspacklogolow.jpg[/img][/url]